Friday, June 11, 2010

Practise makes perfect misery


Friday? Glorious sunshine. Saturday? Ditto. How's about Monday? Well, what do you know, once again a stellar body will be splitting the proverbial canopy. But Sunday? Or tomorrow, as the cool kids are calling it? As it happens, when Cycles and 1999 others roll out for a lengthy and climby day in the saddle it's going to lash, it's going to take a slash., and it's going to go all purple rain. Woo bleedin' hoo.

Clearly I am more than slightly unhappy about this development, however there is an upside of sorts. It justifies all the stupid riding in obscene weather conditions that I've done in the last few months. The insanity of Good Friday is made meaningful. The snowy 6am commute too. Even last week's downpouring now has a retroactive purpose. Of course none of these excursions topped the two hour mark and tomorrow's rolling time will most likely be in excess of seven. So now that I think about it, all those rainy rides were completely pointless and I am looking down the barrel of a shotgun full of miserable wetness, extreme extremity numbness and potentially fatal descents. If the organisers can only find a way to add some mud, my Stage 7 Giro fantasy will be complete.

7 comments:

  1. It will be much warmer than good friday- numbness will take hours to set in - not minutes but I am no longer jelous.

    Stage 7 - best road race ever. If they were all like that I would consider racing on the road far more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T-man is doing the 100 tomorrow too, stupid weather. Fingers crossed it holds off for both your sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark:
    You mean if all road races were like off road races?

    Fatmammycat:
    I got away with it, for the most part.

    You need more proof that there is a god and He is particularly focussed on little old me?

    Conan:
    Someone needs to follow the Cycles Goff twitter feed.

    I am alive, yes. More to follow, eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How'd you get on Gimme? We did the 100 and thankfully got in JUST before the rain...was squirming just thinking about the 200. Ouch.

    Hope it went great for you.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am successfully refusing all inducements to Twit and Facebark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah:
    It was just a little epic, Sarah. But I got in about five minutes after the rain began. I was glad I'd left early.

    Well done to you both.

    Conan:
    And I respect that. But it's not like you have to sign up or get involved or anything. Just clicky the twat link in the sidebar for all things brief and Goffy.

    ReplyDelete