Monday, June 14, 2010

In which Cycles makes an imaginary enemy


I slept last night with my knees drawn close to my chest, my legs twitching, trying to pedal. I dreamt of rolling hills and a phantom triathlete on a giant Giant orange bike. I catch him on every climb, he drops me on every descent. Each time he passes he reaches awkwardly yet eerily to shift and then powers away. Never a word between us as through a night of misty rain we exchange this pointless lead.

I awoke to the realisation that, having willed it, it was no dream. No dream but my life for 40 kilometres the day before. Kilbride. Oldcourt. Ballyknockan. Hollywood. Just the two of us and the occasional quickly passed straggler. On and on. Once I shouted. "Yes, you're faster than me! But not on the hills! Not on the hills!" But I shouted when he was in the distance and kept my peace when we met on the next incline. Out of respect.

The brief descent to Donard meant my triathlete was not in sight when I turned into the town. I stopped at the checkpoint. He did not. And now, despite the dreaming and the waking, I'm not entirely sure that my skinsuited adversary was real.

11 comments:

  1. Did he have a number? Did you all have numbers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in? abuse will follow in due course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the interaction on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Je pense qu'il fait les vacances, en famille, avec ses vélos pneumatiques. Eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Testing... testing... Contador?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too busy on Twitter with his cycling friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder Nicolas is slipping down the field

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, he's edging back up again... where would I be without ITV4.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Conatador reportedly done for clenbuterol and you remain SILENT!!

    ReplyDelete